6 Jan 2020

A Murphys In The Roughty Bar


    A few years back in the depths of the northern winter we rented a bungalow for six weeks in the smallish country town of Kenmare in Co Kerry, wanting to live like locals as best you can when you’re not born and raised in Ireland. In winter down there on the coast the Gulf Stream makes the weather a touch milder, and oddly enough it’s drier than you’d expect, cold yes, damn cold, some light snow at times, but plenty of fine days. Just a matter of picking the right clothes for the day. 

    But the big bonus is, there’s no tourists, and the natives have time to stop and chat. And when you’re there for that long you get into daily routines that help you develop some passing friendships, in the morning coffee caff, and the supermarket checkout, where the initial “Good morning” quickly turns to “Where are you from?” and soon you’re on to the daily discourse on weather, politics, landscape, movies, grandkids, the world economy, weddings and funerals, and the price of eggs.

    The Irish are the friendliest people on earth, and in no time at all you become far more than just a visitor. Especially in these smaller country towns where everybody knows everybody. And Herself’s West Cork great-grandparents helps no end, each with names that resound with rebel glory and the hard times of the Catholic Irish. It’s like having the password.

    As part of my own immersion into things Irish - hey, my online DNA thingo says I’m 3%! - not that it’s capable of seeing my 50% Irish spirit! - I decided to have a pint some afternoons, in one of the town’s small bars, y’know, breeze in like a regular about 3pm with newspaper under arm, and make out I’m reading it while I absorb the atmosphere. With a pint.

    Small Irish country pubs aren’t like the English equivalent, but do have a bit in common with those in Aus – always have a few locals at the bar, Sky TV always on sport, drinks in hand, plenty of chat. But in Cork and Kerry it’s a leg in if you drink Murphys. Guinness is okay, but down there going for a pint of Murphys helps make you look more of a local. If you’ve ever been to the top end of Tasmania and NOT asked for a Boags you’d know what I mean.

    Tasmania is small, not a lot more surface area than your average party sized pizza, population only about half-a-mill, but they still see themselves as North Tasmanians or South Tasmanians – well, they did in the mid ‘80s when we took the kids for a fortnight’s fly/drive holiday around the Apple Isle. During which we stopped off in Launceston (and I’m sorry England but here it’s ‘Lawn-cess-tun’), up in the top right corner. Girls and youngest lad went shopping, eldest son and I went for a pint.

    Small pub, three locals propping up the bar, two big locals with no necks playing pool, and the guy behind the bar. We front and order Cascades, a fine Hobart-brewed ale we had the day before. In Hobart. Way down south. About fifty kilometers.

    Instant silence.

    Pool playing suspended.

    ‘Cascade’ hanging in the air.

    One of the no-necks smiles – you know, that smile that says - ‘We’re giving you some leeway here fellas but I’m not really smiling’.

    “We drink BOAGS up ‘ere...”, he says.

    “Ah, yeah, great – we’ll have two pints of Boags then...”, and they went back to being two big blokes with no necks playing pool.

    Anyway, in Kenmare it’s called Murphys. And the pub is ‘The Roughty Bar’. 

    It sounds ominous but The Roughty Bar is simply named after the local river, and it’s typically one shop-front wide with one plain door and heavy drapes on the windows, so from the outside you can’t see inside. Which means the first time you have to go in cold. With no idea what’s on the other side of the door in the way of denizens, décor, protocols, or culture.

    But it turns out to be warm and fuggy and the fittings are sort of nineteen-fifties and in various shades of dark. Like a wonderful time warp where nothing changes because it shouldn’t. Except for the TV on the wall pumping out Sky Sports and it’s always horse racing.

    This day there’s two fellas hanging onto the horse that’s running fifth, there’s about four other locals tall-stool-sitting or standing at the bar talking, two more off to the side on the brocade upholstered seats behind small round tables, and the barman. Pints of the black stuff in every hand.

    I step in, momentarily blind from the sudden change in light, and all talks stops as they check me out. The barman nods with the suggestion of a smile, everyone goes back to horses/chat/drinks, and I front the bar. I order a pint of Murphys, leave a fiver on the sop-cloth, take a quiet corner seat under the front window, sort out the paper, wait respectfully for the glass-filling ritual. See, I know how it works.

    Best part of an hour in, I’m on my second pint and feeling no pain. Best I can make out no-one’s backed a winner but they’re still making jokes and stirring each other up. One of the bloke’s wives comes in and I half expect her to drag her fella out but they make a space for her and soon she too has a pint.

    A big bucolic type at the bar bumps his glass down, says something to his mates, laughs, turns to go. When I say big I mean big. I’ve seen smaller apartment blocks. Hands like mallee roots.

    He stops and towers over me, clearly had more than a few, but he sounds cheery and matey, launches into conversation in a rich rural Kerry brogue, has a quick laugh in between comments, I laugh when he laughs, wag my head knowingly, make ‘Geez, you’re right there mate’ sort of noises, and with a ‘See y’ lairter now’ smile and nod I give him a ‘Yeah, see y’later mate’ and he’s out the door.

    I look across to the barman, who’s wiping a glass, and I realise he’s been quietly watching, with a small grin on his face that says – ‘You didn’t understand a single thing he said, eh?’ Nup, not a bloody word! But a couple of afternoons lated when I drop in, the barman nods and the locals make a space and it’s like I’ve been coming there for years. Geez I love this country!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>